Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I called

Yesterday I called the doctors office to change the date of Steven's appointment from Valentines day to the week after......and to see if the pcr results are back yet. They took my name and number and said that they would go and look at his chart and call me back.

Today I called the doctors office today to change the date of Steven's appointment from Valentines day to the week after.......and to see if the pcr results are back yet. We got the date changed. Then they took my name and number as said that they would go and look at his chart and call me back.

Tomorrow ----I won't call

Do I take these people a cake and cookies and send them pretty "sucking-up" cards or do I get angry and at least ask for consideration in the face of dealing with cancer in my kid or do I do nothing? Is it too much to expect a return phone call when told I will get one? Even if it is to say that there are no results yet? So now I am left to decide whether to become a 'pest', a 'neurotic mom' and call every day, or to sit and wait for that wheel to turn at their pace.

In every doctors office, especially oncology offices, there should be a person assigned to do nothing else but to return calls - especially the calls from worried people. Just a "no news yet" phone call would go a long, long way to lengthening my life. Ordinary mothers easily become very worried mothers when it comes to their kids cancer test results.

So the wait goes on. I have to say that for some reason its been easier this time - maybe beacuse Steven looks good and there is no reason to expect a bad result. It's easy to be calmer under these conditions. Will I get used to this one day? Who knows, but one day at a time and an hour after these pcr results come in will tell me just how tense the wait this time has been.

Expecting good news soon
love and light
Annie

No comments: