Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It's HAPPENING!

Steven had a doctors visit yesterday - everything is simply wonderful! His bloods are almost all 'normal' and doctor is very happy with his progress. He is going to do another PCR test early in September, right after Steven and Laura get back from Oregon and Dr Druker. Might not even have to do that test as Dr Druker might do one there........... no need in duplicating the arm pricks. Steven did not like the finger prick way of getting blood drawn and asked them if they could do the arm rather - I think they thought he was nuts! And it also looks as if the next bone marrow biopsy will not happen - thats if the PCR tests come back ok. They are much more sensitive tests and unless everything goes haywire, there is no need to dig into his back again - for now! That REALLY made his day......

And we went to the college to sign him up for classes this fall. He is looking good and just has the general tiredness to deal with, but this has not stopped him from signing up for night classes. He has to work, of course, and will do these night classes for two years. Hats off to him!

And because his bloods are all looking good we can go on this fundraiser with easier hearts...... It would have almost been impossible if he was not headed in the right direction with this disease.

And the motorhome is wrapped! It looks absolutely AWESOME! We will be picking it up in about 2 hours and heading downtown for the kickoff party with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this evening. I promise to post pictures as soon as we get them - we were out until 10.30pm last night watching Tom from Billy T's Signs putting the wrap on, but then we left him to do what he was doing so very well and headed home for some sleep. Now the fine-tuning is happening and we will get her back in full regalia in a few hours! I simply cannot wait. I find myself almost tearful typing this. It's working. It's all working out. I SO hope that we can make a difference. This is such a personal drive. Every penny we raise will bring my son closer to a cure - and so many others too. It just HAS to make a difference.

This is becoming a reality and its scary. The tv people are calling wanting to know when we are leaving and we are wondering if we could sneak away quietly in the middle of the night. Just kidding! Neither Frank nor I are big on being in the limelight, but we know there are a good few bridges along the Alcan Highway that we can hide under for a day or so when we need a break.....and a very kind gentleman has offered us his driveway in Alaska if we need to 'hide" for a while up there. I don't think we will want to do too much of that as it would defeat the object, besides we are going to be towing the bakkie (pickup) and can always use this to get away from the "Big Colorful Bus", as one lady aptly named it :-)

A good few people have said that what we are doing is wonderful. I hear what they are saying, but doing this has been my medication for this disease in Steven. This has been my way of coping, of being able to stay sane and help towards a goal - cure! I know I have said before how helpless I felt in the face of this cancer and I really dont know how I could or would have coped if we did not have this fundraiser to focus on. At times the idea of my child having cancer still grabs me by the throat and rattles me around. I know it does to Steven too occasionally. I really really hope that it gets easier on him and Laura too.

It is quite a job packing up the shop and the house and suddenly everyone wants their computers fixed. We will close the computer shop on Saturday this week and pack and clean and sort over the weekend. We hope to leave on Tuesday 25th fairly early in the morning.

And Frank has gone to pick up Skilpad2! This is her official name. Skilpad means tortoise and the two is, well, because she is our 2nd one! I had to stay at the shop as the bench is full - well, someone had to do it and she is his baby so he gets the first drive.......

Gonna go now - more later!

{*.*}

No comments: